Can Your Morning Be Good Without Caffeine?
Perhaps, you enjoy a cup of coffee or tea in the morning. "It helps me to wake up and keep going. I can skip breakfast and fast till lunch with a cup of coffee!" many women tell.
Research does not give a simple "black-white" answer whether caffeine is good or bad for us. It is a natural substance in several foods: coffee, tea, chocolate, yerba mate and some exotic fruit.
Let's look on advantages and disadvantages of consuming it, then a smart choice can be made.
The advantages are
- a quick boost of energy,
- mental clarity and alertness,
- better physical performance and mood, more burnt calories,
- caffeinated beverages (tea, coffee) have beneficial phytonutrients.
"Not -so -good" things:
- it stays longer in women's bodies than men's and may prevent good night sleep,
- it causes a "stress" response in the body: stress hormones are released, blood sugar level rises,
- blood pressure goes up,
- it is addicting to some degree and women feel "crushed" without it.
- The more you use it, the more you will need to feel "normal" not sleepy during the day.
- The benefits of caffeine work only for those who do not have it every day, researchers tell!
- One of the options is to drink green tea or matcha or white tea every other day in the morning and have herbal tea on other days. Tea has less caffeine than coffee and many phytonutrients.
Choose wisely what is good for you. Here is a recipe for your "caffeine-free" day: 1 tsp of roasted chicory root, 2 cups of boiled water. Brew for 5-7 minutes and strain. Pour the hot drink into your blender (not a "bullet" type with a screw-on blades!!! It can blow up!), add a pinch of sea salt, ½ tsp of ghee or butter, ¼ tsp of turmeric, a pinch of black pepper, ¼ tsp of ginger. Blend everything well and enjoy with a date or a teaspoon of honey. Benefits: the herbs promote a good digestion and have anti-inflammatory effect, very helpful at times of cold and flu. Send us a message what you like about drinking tea or coffee. We will be glad to know you!